Search Green

Custom Search

11.11.2008

Hybrid Cars: Not Right Now

In the midst of the economic downturn even blue chip companies are feeling the strain. In recent days, the leaders of the big three carmakers have been up on capitol hill asking Congress to help them. If you're feeling the strain too, getting a hybrid car may not be the best way for you to go green right now. Instead, try and maximize your fuel economy in other ways. Make sure your car is properly maintained: fill the tires, have the proper tire balance, and fill the engine with low-weight engine oil. If you have anything heavy in the car, take it out if you don't need it. Hypermilers may try to maximize their fuel economy to the extreme by drafting behind trucks, or driving at slow speeds, but this can compromise your safety. Also to save money, find the cheapest gasoline station in your area. If you drive past a particularly cheap station (I saw $2.13 the other day) try to fill up, even if you have a half-tank full. These techniques will help you to be green and save green.

5 comments:

Debra Lentine said...

Hey Brett,
You make a lot of sense here. I have a friend who was all set to buy a hybrid car until he did the math. He discovered that it wasn't the most fuel efficient choice for his style of driving. I'm impressed that you've chosen to write about topics that really matter.

Brett said...

Yeah, it's really cool. If you have any suggestions for topics you can leave them as comments.

KD-NJ said...

Hey Brett,
Great blog you have there. I have to say that I am disappointed in some of the newer hybrid cars and I hope the car manufacturers will seriously look at fuel efficiency and alternatives in the future without a huge premium tacked on.
Do you know anything about composting without attracting unwanted animals?
I don't think I want a bulky enclosed system, but I would be interested to hear what you have to say on the subject.
Keep up the good work.

VideoRanger said...

Hi Brett Lots of good information on this blog. About 6 months ago I tried to lease a hybrid car but could not make the extra cost of the hybrid pay. I got the gasoline engine and now get about 28MPG instead of the 20MPG I got on the old car. You could call me a Mega-miler as I drive about 20K per year. I am happy that I now use less gas. Keep up the good work.

Eric said...

Hey Brett,
Love your blog! You have a lot of great information and advice in here, and your entries are both succinct and well-written. I particularly like this entry, and would love to hear more about hybrid cars, why they are inefficient in some ways and what needs to be developed to make them a more viable option.

Great seeing you this weekend. You're making our whole family proud!